Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

The One With the Tournament



Wow! I’m going to share with you the start of our March Madness: Tournament of Books, but first let me say I think the kiddos took “madness” to heart! State Testing + Indoor Recess Weather = Madness in Room 21. Hopefully, just like the weather in March, they will be in like a lion, out like a lamb! 

 
Luckily, despite the silliness, we are still learning! Last week I changed our bulletin board in anticipation of the start of our March Madness. It’s not too late to join in, seeing as the correlating tournament has yet to begin! I found my vision from Brown Bag Teacher and she has GREAT, FREE resources to get you started! I changed them a bit to work with my class but it was a great visual to get me started!


First, I made a list of the books we’ve read as a class or that are always flying off our class library shelves. Then, I paired the favorites together (Dr. Seuss competed against Dr. Seuss, Grace for President competed against Duck for President.)

The actual creating the brackets on the board took some thought and planning, but still managed to turned out how I imagined.





This week we discussed what the actual NCAA Men's Basketball Championship was and the similarities to our own Tournament of Books. The first round of books were Dr. Seuss, which worked out perfectly with his birthday! The Lorax went up against Bartholomew and the Oobleck and won. To cast their vote students completed a book review. Slowly and painfully our book reviews are improving. It’s shocking sometimes how quickly students forget how to write a summary. I’ll chalk it up to our weird week again.



As our class bookie, and in my professional opinion, I think the best bet is Diary of a Wimpy Kid or The Day the Crayons Quit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment