Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

The One When the Panthers Win!



March Madness started a few days ago but today was the first *real* day because UNI played!! Yay! I decided I just HAD to find a way that I, I mean my kids, could watch it. 


I searched TpT and googled “educational ways to watch March Madness” and ya know? Nothing showed up. Surprising, I know. So instead I incorporated our focus skill in math currently: created and interpreting graphs. 

In room 21, we graphed how many points each UNI player scored. Don’t get too jealous – we only watched the last ten minutes, but it was so fun! I had a few “We’re not graphing the players for Wyoming?” – Um no, we cheer for the purple and gold.



Just kidding. I let them cheer for whoever they wanted. As I’ve mentioned we are studying universities in writing, and one student researched Wyoming so she (and a nice, loyal friend) cheered on Cowboy Joe.

During the game we tallied each point scored (free throws and field goals were new to some of us) and during commercial breaks we played “around the world” in table groups. It was a fun little break after a week of state testing - and on a Friday afternoon you can’t beat it! After we created bar graphs. It’s safe to say Westpun is everyone’s new favorite player.





Even though Google didn’t give me much I did hear, “Wow, this is fun and I’m also learning! Did you know that would happen Ms. Buikema?” To be honest, the words came from my class ham but it’s always nice to hear ;)

Next up – Louisville! When they asked if we could do this for the next game they were disappointed it was on a Sunday…so I sent them home with graphing paper. Turns out Colorado is a PANTHER STATE too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment