Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

The One when it’s Digital Learning Day



Beyond being Friday the 13th – and continuing my 23 year streak of not stepping on a crack in the sidewalk – yesterday was also Digital Learning Day! I actually was just clued in a few days ago but I wanted to share how my class celebrated in a small way. 

For me #DLDay is more about my own professional development with technology in the classroom but I also found it a perfect time to introduce a new app to the class: Edmodo. 

While Edmodo is nothing new, I recently took a little bit of time to explore what the site has to offer. If I was ever to explore space it would probably feel a little something like exploring Edmodo because there is just SO much. It can be overwhelming. For example, they have three options for learning about Edmodo: a seven week course, a 1 day on-site crash course, and on your own videos. Clearly, I chose the videos (the others were thousands of dollars) but even those are endless.  

Anyways, we stuck with the basic (but effective) “note” and “quiz” features. In my class we used note as a way to have organized discussions with the whole class. For example, I posted a question and groups responded to the question and it posts to the class in real time. They can reply as many times as they would like to respond to others answers. They were so excited! Sometimes the littlest things make a big impact. They loved the "chat room" feel. 





I have our Edmodo profiles set up in table group colors and they work in table groups to answer questions. In the future I see myself using this for book discussions and math think alouds. Today, we used it to discuss technology questions and shed a light on Digital Learning Day. 

Some might think, can’t you discuss out loud more efficiently? Possibly, but this way students are speaking to their groups, formulating a written response, and practicing their typing skills. You can see in the pictures typing is still a skill we’re working on. 











 To give students a taste of our future learning, they read a Time for Kids article and took a quiz I quickly created on Edmodo after. It was a good feature to test out, but I really like the notes section best. When they are working in groups I think the best feature is to be able to see each others posts and respond to what others say. 




More to come in the future with technology and Edmodo but for Digital Learning Day and our first day of Edmodo we had a fun, technology filled day!

No comments:

Post a Comment