Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The One with Scissors and Glue

Is “Tried it Tuesday” a blogging thing? If not I’ll make it my thing! Yesterday and today we tried interactive notebooks in math. I know, I know – we are just now trying interactive notebooks. We’re stuck in dinosaur times in room 21. Actually I just really love how fabulous math already works for us. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” ya know? I’ll share more about what’s working another day!

The motivation came from buying Not So Wimpy Teacher's  Interactive Notebook on fractions forever ago, printing it a while ago, and finally having the courage to jump in with the scissors and glue! 

Yesterday I modeled it briefly (yes, cutting rectangles in third grade still needs to be modeled) and then set them loose to tackle the chaos in math centers. I believe my saving grace was a model notebook that they could refer to ANNNNND the fact that our wonderful para-educator was in the room to assist. It also helped that we are well into our fractions unit and most of the heavy lifting (thinking) was review. 

Overall I would say I am a fan of interactive notebooks and will continue to use it as a center rotation! (no need to use our very little, and even more valuable, whole group time) 

Take a look our process and progress:

Examples of my examples :)



Here is our set up, fool proof and OCD approved. Everything has a place and stays organized is unrecognizable after. Such is life. 





Interactive Notebooks in Action!







Day 2… a little less messy? They know how to make their clean-freak teacher proud.





Student samples, not bad! Only two students ripped them out of their notebooks and took them home.  And only one glued their flaps right over their answers.*face palm*





Thanks for another read! I appreciate the friends who read through all the teacher talk and other teachers who read and share their own experiences!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Yes, third graders need you to model cutting rectangles! LOL! I start interactive notebooks in small group. This gives me the opportunity to watch over them. I keep most of my designs similar, so after a while I can throw interactive notebook pieces into centers and they don't need much coaching to get them done. Thanks so much for purchasing my product and blogging about it.
    Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete