Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

The One with a Freebie…And a Dog



Today I’m going to try my hand at TpT! For now, just freebies until I perfect my skills. (I did create a literacy center game to pair with Bananagrams a while ago, but that was a copyright issue, oops – I’m new!) 

A few weeks ago I did a mini lesson around the book, The Daythe Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt. Amazing book! There are many different writing ideas you can take out of it but since our overall unit is Opinion we went the persuasive route. Recently we jumped into Lucy Calkins with two feet. While my Lucy fandom varies from day-to-day it can be monotonous – cue our crayon mini lesson. 

For us third graders who have been working on voice and persuasion in speeches the lesson took 3 days, for others it may take longer depending on the level of exposure to opinion writing.

In the lesson freebie it goes in to MUCH more detail but I will keep it short and sweet for all of you! 

Day 1
We read the first page of the book with purpose, trying to hear what the crayon was persuading the boy to do. Then we read it again listening to his great voice and examples. I read a few more colors which we added to a chart that organized what the crayons wanted and examples of how they spoke directly to the audience. 

That was all the more time we needed to start brain storming objects in our lives that would want to quit. My class example was our pencils, (something students have knowledge on and something that really would quit in room 21) students came up with their Xbox, tablets, couch, grass, soccer ball and much more! 

After our objects were decided we did many partner brainstorms and class share-outs to decide why they want to quit, examples the object will use, and how they will address the audience (them!).
They did surprisingly well taking on the role of the object and writing to themselves – it’s something we’ve never worked on but they fooled some teachers around the district who came to observe. 


Day 2
Most students wrote more the day before than they have all year. I think that has to do consistently using Lucy and having a motivating activity in front of them. Either way we were done drafting and ready to revise! 

Today students heard three other crayon colors stories (they begged for even more!) and this time really listened to the emotion and vocabulary the crayon used. We took this as an opportunity to add better emotion and vocabulary to our own writing. 


Day 3
We finished the book, The Day the Crayons quit, spoiler – the last crayon is the funniest and will have your class in stiches. Add an extra minute to your lesson so they can come down back to class. 

Today students finished revising, did minor editing, and published their page for our class book. Students who finished early could add a drawing to enhance their writing. 

My kids really enjoyed this lesson and I’m happy to pass the idea along! As promised in the title of this post … a puppy! 




This weekend I had the absolute JOY of dog sitting my 3rd grade teammate/dear friend’s sweet dog. My dog fix was not satisfied this weekend and instead I’m toggling back and forth between doggie websites. A puppy here I come! Tagdog is a beautiful Alaskan Malamute whose beauty you all need to see. Thanks for sharing him for the weekend, Em! In true Colorado fashion it was 70 all weekend and we got to spend a lot of time outdoors – he also received more compliments at dinner than a supermodel (or so I would suppose) a record 30-40+. Luckily it doesn’t go to his head. 



 



For sticking out the lengthy post, here’s Tag!

No comments:

Post a Comment