Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The One With an Egg Drop and Room Reveal



Summer Vacation is officially one week old! I know, I know, I waited an entire week to share our last day of school fun. Whoops. (Blame it on being too emotional, too drained, and wanting to enjoy our first sunny days in a month) 

While the summer has already consisted of Rockies games, sangria, and sunshine, there was also some work to be done! I am out of room 21 and officially in Room 16! But before I share what’s to come in year three of teaching I will explain our fun-filled last full day of school


Tuesday was our last full day with students and was also the day of our Egg Drop Challenge! Wednesday was truly the last day but with only 45 minutes with them it was not enough time to launch eggs from a roof! 

The planning started about a week before. We used a great STEM resource that laid everything out. Including a parent letter about supplies. Looking back that was truly optional because we found plenty of scraps, boxes full of packing peanuts, and Clorox containers just around our building. (Supplies from home did add a level of pride though, so I’ll probably still send the letter next year)

Students were divided into groups, made team names, logos, and rough drafts for their design. The physical creating was done the Friday before and took about 45 minutes. And then another 20 minutes Tuesday when everyone stuffed a few more packing peanuts for good measure. 

Originally we planned to drop the eggs from shoulder height, standing on a desk, and the roof. But doesn’t everyone want their egg flying off the roof of the elementary school? The answer is yes. So, we skipped the first two and went right to the roof. Sometimes things like carrying 30 projects up a fire ladder in school attire is an afterthought*. Live and learn. 

The actual launching of the projects was very surprising and encouraging! While it was a “challenge” every student was encouraging – and sometimes sympathetic – during each egg drop. About half of our students’ egg drop projects were successful! Their prize was a beaming smile and a roar of applause.
The launch went smoothly and I can’t wait to do it again next year. It was the perfect way to end the school year and end our STEM kick. This summer more STEM projects will be explored and prepped for next year.







We tried to be clean.



The suspense....

Survivor!

All the surviving eggs and their engineers!



MEANWHILE – on summer break – I moved into my new classroom! It’s right next to my teaching bestie who I will split kiddos with and departmentalize with next year. In addition to the location change it has a door to the playground and a mountain view. (That piece of information was solely for my Iowa friends, get jealous and move out here already!)

The room is organized for the most part and missing some key furniture…DESKS! My lovely and ultra-handy father is making me whiteboard tables!! EEEEK! Those will come in July so for now the room is a little empty. I also want to add more of a plant theme but seeing as I can’t keep a plant alive those will be added the day school starts.




A little white paint will be added to the very red bookshelf, eventually.

Leaf is from ikea! I purchased it two years ago and pulled it out the last week of school. This is one plant I can keep alive.


Saving the best for last, obviously.



*Students being on the roof was not an afterthought and only two brave third grade teachers ventured up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment